Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Baby poo woes


So, most babies have problems with poo at one time or another. For our little man (9 months old) hard stools and slight constipation is sometimes a problem. What I've found keeps our little guy going like a champ is to have a good whole grain and a good leafy green. My favorites are bulgar and spinach. Bulgar is a whole grain, and high in fiber. Spinach is known to be very nutrient-rich, and a good colon-cleansing aid. I like to keep these on hand and little man gets at least one of these daily.



Bulgar-For bulgar I cook/boil it ahead of time, and freeze in an ice cube tray, this gives me ready-made 1 oz servings.

Spinach (or other leafy greens)-I usually get some type of dark leafy green from my weekly produce box. I like spinach best, but little guy eats it all- spinach, kale, chard, collard greens. For all of these, I remove the stems and large veins. If these are left in they often create little "strings" in the puree, and I won't my greens puree as smooth as possible. After removing the stems/veins, I wash the greens, then place in a silicone steaming basket in a large pot. I add water to the pot (enough to cover the bottom of the pan by about 1/2 an inch) and steam until the greens are tender. Then I puree/blend them using a hand bledner. Then into the ice cube tray & freezer they go.

No comments:

Post a Comment