Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fava beans, a lotta work, a lotta tastiness

So what comes to mind when you hear "fava beans?" For me, all I think of is Silence of the Lambs of course! I'd never tried these myself just because of that fact. And really, there haven't been many opportunites to try them anyway. But alas, this week they arrived on my doorstep. So this was my chance to disconnect fava beans and Hannibal Lector.

Being as this was my first time with fava beans, I used the parboil and peel method. Basically this amounts to boiling the whole bean pod briefly, putting them in an ice bath, removing the beans from the pod, then carefully removing the thick waxy covering from each bean. Was this time consuming? For me, yes, it took me about 30 mins from start to finish. Would I do it again, for sure. To be honest, the end result tasted a bit like edamame to me. But, imagine a creamier, almost buttery, edamame. Lightly salted, and voila, very simply and quite tasty.

Here's a link to the Abundant Harvest newletter, with instructions for various ways to cook fava beans.
Fava beans in the pod

Beans remove from pod

Fava bean with coating removed. Colors varied from vibrant yellow to lime green.

Beans in waxy skin (left), completely shelled (right).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment